What does Earth Healing mean to you?
There are many ways of connecting with Mother Earth, and we are lucky to be able to both heal the Earth and be healed by her, in an infinite exchange of energy.
You may need healing on physical, emotional and spiritual levels, and using the Earth to do so is not only beautiful but free of charge! Allow yourself to be soothed and grounded by the Earth’s rhythms and ancient wisdom. When you experience a level of heightened compassion for the wider world, Earth, in return, will reward you with the abundance and stability you seek to live a rich and fulfilling life.
The Art of Grounding
Grounding is a way of connecting with the healing energies of Mother Earth in order to rebalance our electro/magnetic matrix. Also known as earthing, this healing technique is becoming more valuable as we are spending less time outdoors in Nature, and more time connected to digital devices. Grounding is also important for those who work as healers or lightworkers, and can also be helpful if you meditate regularly. Earthing can be achieved by direct contact between the skin and the earth, while grounding can be done through a range of techniques.
How do you know when you need Grounding?
Have you ever felt scattered, spaced out or lost in your thoughts? Do you have times when you have found it really hard to concentrate? Does stress get the better of you?
As human beings, we are part of the matrix of Mother Earth. We are intricately connected with every atom on the planet. When we spend the majority of our time in artificial environments, we begin to those that important connection.
The elemental qualities of Earth are solidity, steadiness, slow, cool, stable and dense. When we are lacking in these qualities, we become too spacious, too fast and unstable. Our mind races, we rush everywhere and we can’t catch our thoughts. There is the undeniable feeling of being out of alignment, off centre, unbalanced. You spend more time in your head than in your body. You might feel drained mentally and physically, yet be unable to sleep.
These are all signs that you might be in need of some grounding techniques.
We’ve come up with a few tips on how to enjoy the Earth in all its glory:
- Try Forest Bathing, a Japanese ritual known as Shinrin-Yoku. Immerse yourself in the depths of the forest and visualise the wonders of the real world wide web beneath your feet. Use all your senses to connect with the forest. Listen to the sounds of the birds and the leaves rustling. Smell the earthy fragrance. Touch the bark of the trees. Gaze up at the branches or look closely into the cracks of the bark.
- Take long walks in nature on your own or with your loved ones. Take the time to really engage with Mother Nature. Feel the ground beneath your feet, see the sky extending above.
- Practice grounding meditations and rituals with nurturing, healing, and grounding crystals. A simple but effective way to connect with Earth is to tune in and feel its gentle gravitational pull in your meditations.
- Touch the Earth. Work and create with your hands using the Earth’s materials: foraging, mindful cooking, woodwork, weaving, and gardening. Digging and planting are especially good grounding practices.
- Walk barefoot in the garden, a local woodland spot, or in a park. You might be able to feel a subtle tingling sensation in your feet as your body connects with the gentle electromagnetic pulsations of the Earth! If you are able, lying flat on the earth can be even more grounding!
- Treat yourself to a reflexology treatment. Our feet are the main contact with the earth. When we spend too much time in our heads, having our feet massaged and worked on can bring energy back down into our roots. If you want to try a session, come and see us! Find out more HERE.
- For a quick grounding fix, try eating something. Enjoy Nature’s bounty, and feast on vegetables.
- Wear earth tones. Ground yourself by wearing dark reds, browns and ochres – the colours of the root and sacral chakras.
- Drumming has long been used in spiritual communities and rituals. There is something deeply grounding to be found in the bass tones and rhythmical beats.
- Consciously connect with the elements of water, fire, wood, and air. Just turn the tap on and mindfully feel the cleansing coolness of the water on your face or body, or step out into the rain! Enjoy an evening in front of a fire pit with friends, watching nature change as night falls.
The Benefits of Grounding
When we are fully grounded and in touch with the earth, there is a feeling of wholeness, completeness. We are one with everything. Life flows more easily, and we may feel more relaxed, more at ease. In addition to these feelings of deep connection, there are also many physical benefits that grounding can bring.
Medical studies are beginning to explore the potential healing benefits of regularly grounding. One in-depth scientific study in 2015 showed the relationship between grounding and an amazing range of medical conditions that were subsequently improved.
2. Wound Healing
3. Improved Sleep Patterns through normalisation of circadian rhythms
4. Reduced Stress through normalisation of cortisol rhythms
5. Pain Reduction
6. Increase in Heart Rate Variability (HRV)
7. Reduction in Blood Viscosity
8. Increase in parasympathetic nervous system function (the ‘calm and relax’ side of the nervous system.)
These findings are amazing, and they reinforce the power of nature and our connection to it. You can read this full study HERE.
Mother Earth provides us with so much. She nourishes and sustains us. But have you ever thought about what we can give back to our beautiful planet? We all know that our planet Earth needs healing. Despite Mother Earth being astonishingly good at healing and regenerating herself, the large-scale destruction that has been inflicted on her by humans is now very clear and thankfully the majority of our global population is becoming aware of this urgent issue. Do what you can to help the Earth – she does so much for us! Start simply with recycling, reusing and reclaiming clothing, furniture, toys and homewares.
One way we love to connect to the Earth and to heal is with crystals. We consider Crystals to be Mother Earth’s beautiful bounty hidden deep beneath the ground. There is an abundance of powerful crystals that can support our individual needs, whether we want to ground ourselves to feel more stable, to deepen our connection with nature, or cultivate more abundance in our lives.
We’ve selected two amazing crystals which we believe can help you on your Earth-healing journey:
Aragonite was originally discovered in the Aragon River, in Spain, which is how it got its name in 1797. It can now be found around the world, including in the UK. It comes in various shapes, but its most common form is the ‘Sputnik’ shaped variety – little clusters radiating out from the centre.
Aragonite’s connection with the Earth’s energy gives you the vigour you need to recharge and stabilise yourself in all areas of body, mind, and soul. It is widely known as an Earth Healer. Aragonite is attuned to the Earth Goddess Gaia and she will encourage you to shift your focus to living a more conscious and sustainable life, respecting the resources Earth has offered us. Known as the ‘Conservationist’s Stone’, Aragonite’s vibration encourages conservation and care for the planet, both helping the Earth and healing for you.
Often considered to be the gemstone of Mother Gaia, Moss Agate oozes earthy energy. The beautiful mottled patterns create a moss-like effect running through the stone. Moss Agate is also associated with the planet Earth and the element of water. It is said to encourage growth, fertility, and abundance, as well as boost your creativity and optimism. This stone is also known as an earth healer. It is a protective stone that can shield you from negative energy and its grounding essence can help keep you connected to the physical world.
This grounding influence will help you maintain your connection to the earth and will encourage you to spend your days outdoors, communing with nature, and basking in the natural beauty that’s simply everywhere.
These elements are all around us, and all it takes is for us to be willing to slow down and revel in the abundance that Mother Earth provides us with every day. If we make the intention to be conscious, we can allow the Earth and her elements to effortlessly soothe, heal, and guide us to a healthier, more fulfilling life, both individually and collectively.